Recipe Time: Blueberry and Strawberry Pierogi
This is one of my FAVORITE Polish dishes that my mom has been making since I was born. I'm sure some of you have heard of these and have maybe tried them, but my mom's take is the SWEET kind of pierogi filled with blueberries and strawberries. I love the blueberry ones but we made both this day. Enjoy and let me know if you try making these! They're soooo good!!
We put the pierogi on this wooden plate to freeze it for an hour or two and then put it in plastic bags and freeze it so they don't all stick together terribly.
The batch we made in the pictures was a humongous batch (we like to freeze them to eat later) so the ingredients below are for a smaller batch for you to try.
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon of soft butter
2 cups blueberries
1 tsp sugar (to each their own, choose however much you want)
White cheese (we use Swiss Style Twarog which can be bought at Jewel Osco)
Sprinkle of sugar
1. Lay out your flour on a wooden cooking board or in a bowl and pour on the hot water. Move the floor and water with a spoon while pouring - don't mix too much.
2. Crack your egg in and then put the butter in.
3. Mix it, and knead it with your hands to make the dough firm.
4. Roll it out with a rolling pin to about 1/8 and use a glass cup to make and cut out the circles.
5. Put your filling in and pinch the edges firmly if you don't have a pierogi device like we do :) If you want to use one, I found one here! It's nicer than ours so I may have to swoop this one up myself too!
6. Lay them out to freeze or put them in boiling water to cook right away.
7. Cook for 7-10 minutes in the water until the dough is tender and take them out to cool off.
8. Melt some butter on a pan and use that as a topping.
9. Also top it with a sprinkle of sugar and whip cream if you want.
Mix the blueberries, sugar, and cheese to create your filling.